Eligible South Australians are being urged to check they're not missing out on valuable financial relief that could ease their cost of living over the summer festive season.
For the first time, the application cut-off for the Cost of Living Concession - available to low and fixed income households, has been extended through to 31 December, instead of the past deadline of 31 October.
In 2020-21, the State Government delivered $175.3 million in concessions in the pockets of South Australians.
An additional $13.3 million in COVID-19 support payments for jobseekers was paid in 2020.
Minister for Human Services Michelle Lensink said the longer application window will give more eligible South Australians a chance to apply.
“About 227,000 South Australian households received at least one concession last financial year - with most applications processed in just a few days, compared to the weeks it used to take under the former Labor Government.
“In addition to the Cost of Living Concession, South Australians may also be eligible for energy, water and sewerage concessions, totalling up to $770 back into their pockets every year.”
Available State Government concessions include:
- Cost of Living Payments – up to $217.20 per annum (p.a.)
- Water and Sewerage Concession – up to $320.20 p.a. for water, plus $119.50 per annum for sewerage
- Energy Concession – up to $233.60 p.a.
- Residential Parks – up to $554 p.a.
- SA Concessions Energy Discount Offer – Origin Energy’s 21% off electricity use and supply with flexible payment plans and no late fees (11% for gas offered by Origin)
- Medical Heating and Cooling Concession – up to $233.60 p.a.
- Emergency Services Levy Concession – $46 p.a.
Additional concessions or programs available to eligible South Australians include:
- Companion Card – giving companions or carers free entry to venues and activities with people experiencing significant permanent disability
- Emergency Electrical Payment Scheme – up to $400 every three years for families in financial crisis who are at risk of disconnection
- Funeral AssistanceSA
- Personal AlertSA
- Transport Concession Card
South Australians may be eligible for concessions payments and programs in a number of ways, including receiving a Centrelink payment, holding a low-income card (including pensioner concession) or meeting low-income provisions.
You can apply online now for the Cost of Living Concession. If eligible, you will also be able to apply for other State Government concessions at the same time.
Past years’ applicants do NOT need to re-apply as their eligibility is cross-checked with a range of concessions and payments automatically generated. Despite this, details should be kept up to date including changes of address, energy retailer or bank information.
Visit www.sa.gov.au/concessions for information about individual concessions and programs.
For more information about a wide range of support available visit: www.affordablesa.com.au